Raising Our 3 Sons

This is a blog about raising three boys in Northern Idaho, from the perspective of a Mom and a Dad, with occasional posts from the boys themselves.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Foraging for Mushrooms


It’s Morel mushroom season here in Idaho and earlier this week one of my girlfriends invited me to go mushroom hunting. Yes - - I foraged for mushrooms.

This may not seem strange or weird to anyone who grew up in rural farming towns (like the one we live in now), but to me… this is CRAZY!

The idea of picking mushrooms from the forest and then feeding them to my family is so foreign. In fact, my friend Emily and I used to joke all the time (back when I lived in California) about how much we loved and appreciated Martha Stuart, only to remark “but come on… who forages for their own mushrooms?!” - - and yet here I am today…. Foraging!

Morels are really funky looking mushrooms with crinkly black tops and thick white stems. During our stroll through the forest I kept my head down watching each step to be sure I didn’t step on a precious Morel. I found about 30 of them; a successful hunt by my newbie standards.

Now if I could just find that Martha recipe Emily and I joked about…

This picture above is of my personal Morel bounty. We cooked these babies up with some garlic and butter and served them over a nice steak.

YUMM!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home