Raising Our 3 Sons

This is a blog about raising three boys in Northern Idaho, from the perspective of a Mom and a Dad, with occasional posts from the boys themselves.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Career Day At Landin's School


On Friday afternoon I gave a presentation to Landin's First Grade Class as a part of their Career Day.

PR is a hard career to grasp (especially for 1st graders) - - I mean, let's be honest - - most of my adult friends and family have no idea what I do... but I put a lot of thought into how I could make it real for the kids, and I think it was a success.

I ended up putting together a ficticious business made up of the kids in the classroom - a lemonade stand (Southside First Grade Lemonade), and we had an interactive "meeting" modeling the scenario of Southside First Grade Lemonade hiring me (the PR professional) to do PR for them. The kids came up with some really cool ideas to launch their business and hold fun events where the public could try their lemonade! They were very creative, and it was a lot of fun.

The best moment of the day though was after my session was over and it was time for the kids to clean-up. Landin ran over to me from across the room and wrapped his arms around my legs and looked up at me and said, "Thanks for coming to my class to talk about your job. That was so cool. I want to be a PR too, just like you."

Ah... What a nice start to the Mother's Day Weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home